Friday, October 10, 2008

Fitness Friday, 2

Howdy folks!

So it's Fitness Friday time again, and I'm pleased to announce that:
1.) I'm actually posting on Friday and


2.) After losing 2 pounds this week, I REACHED MY HALFWAY WEIGHT LOSS MARK! WAAAAAAHOOOO!!!




Yes, I know I wrote in all caps but I don't think Juliemom will mind. That's 70 pounds gone with 70 more to go, people. 70 pounds! That's like, a third grader.

3.) I went to the gym M--F this week and, with the exception of last night's chicken & broccoli take-out dinner, stuck to my food plan. But since chicken & broccoli is only 2 Points/cup, it was a good way to satisfy my Chinese food craving. And it worked out well since I was able to use the dinner I had prepared as today's lunch!

I also went to the gym and had my re-evaluation today. Here are the results of that (my 1st eval was on July 19th):
11.25 pounds lost: 5.7 lbs fat, 5.5 lbs lean body mass
Chest: -1 inch (I lost a letter & had to go shopping, ladies!) Arms: -1.5 in.
Waist: - 1.25 in. Abdominals: - 1.75 in. Hips: -1.25 in. Thighs: -1.25 in.
Calf: -.25 in. BMI: down 1 %

So there you go--what has been accomplished in 12 weeks. Got a long way to go, but we're getting there!

This week's topic is what we're doing differently at meal times. So what am I doing differently than before? Everything. Here's what I'm doing now; you can imagine what I was doing before...

1.) I plan meals on purpose to be balanced, varied, healthy, and DELICIOUS. Eating healthy does NOT mean I'm eating meals like "steamed lettuce leaf with side of plain tofu & carrot sticks." I'm eating pasta, rice, potatoes, eggs, ham, salmon, chicken, pork, stir-frys, casseroles, creamy soups & comfort foods. They're just planned, counted, prepared using better ingredients/cooking processes, and then portion controlled.

2.) I portion out the entire dinner before I sit down to eat. No more serving the food family style--which works well since it's just the two of us anyway. But if a recipe makes 4 servings, I will put out my plate, UB's plate, and 2 containers and portion out the entire dish. I do this for everything save steamed veggies--if I want seconds of that I go for it. Then I put the lids on the containers & put them in the fridge; being behind that door silences any voices saying "Come back and eat more of me--you know you want to!" Only one time have I gone into the fridge for seconds, and I counted it & tracked it in my food journal so I knew what I was doing. So not only do I find that I'm perfectly satisfied with what I've already eaten, I have LOTS of leftovers to use for lunches and future dinners. I hear folks all the time complain about how it's so expensive to eat healthy. Yes, I know fresh fruit & veggies are more expensive than Aldiz mac-n-cheese, but you also save money when you don't eat as much food!

3.) I pack my food for the day to resist school lunches. I LOVED school lunch--something warm & yummy in the middle of the day was such a treat! AND my classroom is right by the kitchen, so I smell it all morning. So, I make sure my lunch is prepared and DELICIOUS so I want nothing to do with Taco Day or the mozzarella sticks & french fries on the serving line.

4.) I take the time to find new, healthy recipes and learn new ways to prepare old favorites. I love to cook, so I don't mind this at all. I have several Weight Watcher cookbooks that I LOVE--terrific & delicious recipes that don't sound/taste "diet" at all. I also look online for recipe ideas. There are SO MANY great ideas out there for the taking--and they're free!

Anyway, that's about it for this Fitness Friday entry. To God be the glory for all that He has done in my life to get me to this point. It is my prayer that I continue in obedience no matter what the scale/measuring tape tells me. I can't wait to go & read the other entries. What a source of encouragement those are to me! Keep up the good work, ladies--this is a new week with new goals and new opportunities to make healthy, God-honoring choices. Speaking of goals, mine are:

1.) Plan & prepare my food for the week, 2.) Learn to follow my new workout plan and 3.) Try one of the fitness classes at the gym. I look forward to checking in next week!

6 comments:

Brenda said...

Wow, Aunt Bossy! Congrats on losing a whole 3rd grader!!! :) That cracked me up!

You are doing great and I love the idea of portioning the food right when you serve it. Never occured to me!

Elspeth said...

You are indeed a woman with a plan!! You inspire me.

Aunt Bossy said...

Thanks, Brenda! The portioning began when I was starting Weight Watchers and counting the Points values of all my foods. Since the Points are dependent upon the serving size being correct, the only way I could be sure I was eating the right sized portion of things like casseroles, chili, pasta, etc. was to portion it all out at once. Then I discovered that if I put it in the fridge right away I wouldn't go back AND it made packing my lunch that much easier. Win-win! :-)

karly said...

Way to go, Aunt Bossy! I am SO super excited for you! To God be the glory, for sure!

And, I love the way you portion out the meal. I think that would have helped me a ton tonight. I'm gonna implement that this next week.

And, thank you for reminding me to make "God-honoring choices." I needed to hear that!

Have a great week!

JulieMom said...

Your progress is ASTOUNDING!!

AND IT DESERVES ALL CAPS! :0)

Your portion control seems to be the new trend for our Fitness Friday gals. Way to go!!

Carrie Thompson said...

You are doing awesome! Such an encouragment to read a post from someone who has lost so much weight and is still so pumped! I too have MANY pounds to lose and am just beginning my journey but if you can do it I can!

Awesome job!

Welcome to my blog--where I get to share, reflect, vent, connect, and engage the world in conversation. 'Cause I always have something to say...