My friend recently shared this photo on her Facebook
timeline:
I love it! So true.
My family is gifted in the laughter department. When UB and I were dating, he said to me
“Your family laughs a lot! Like, all the
time.” I thought this was such an odd
observation—doesn’t everyone’s family laugh a lot? Um, no.
They don’t.
But mine does—we laugh in good times, we laugh in bad times,
and we laugh at inappropriate times. And I am so very thankful. Well, maybe not so much for the inappropriate
laughter. That can be a bit of a
challenge, especially when you try to suppress it which of course makes things
even funnier and then you find yourself shaking, abs hurting, trying to get a
hold of yourself so you don’t completely embarrass your appropriately-serious
father. Because snickering and snorting
during a 9/11 Memorial Service is so not
appropriate.
It wasn’t my fault!
It was my mom’s—she started it and since I was sitting next to her, I
got sucked in. This wasn’t a recent
event—oh, no. This was a service that
took place about one month after 9-11 took place. The country was still reeling from the shock,
rubble still filled the streets of New York City, and the incredible sacrifice
and heroism of the 1st responders was on everyone’s mind. So a ceremony was held at our Town Hall to
celebrate our 1st responders and remember the sacrifices of those in
NYC.
This was an extremely
solemn event, during which they had a
dove release; a beautiful symbol of peace.
Shortly after the birds took flight, there was a 21-gun salute, which if
you’ve never heard is pretty impressive.
Any idea where this is going? As
the 21-gun salute went on, Mom put her head down and started to shake
slightly. I leaned in and asked what was
wrong, but she just shook her head. She
started to shake a bit more noticeably, and I knew she was trying to suppress laughter
but had no idea what she found so funny.
So I asked again and she whispered:
“I hope the doves are out of range!”
Maybe it doesn’t seem so funny now, and we both know they
were shooting blanks, but at the time, the thought of one of the doves soaring
gracefully then BAM plummeting to
the ground…so much for that bit of symbolism! Oh, my word. That’s when I learned that the only thing
worse than trying to suppress inappropriate laughter is trying to suppress shared inappropriate laughter. There we were, both of us with heads down,
hands over our mouths, shaking, trying desperately to look like we were moved
to tears by the solemnity of it all. It
didn’t work. Dad kept whispering “Knock
it OFF, you two!” while trying to scoot
his chair over to put some distance between us.
Eventually we pulled it together in time to stand and sing the final
patriotic hymn, our cheeks and abs sore from the repressive effort.
It probably doesn’t help that my family loves to watch
stand-up comedians. Brian Regan is one of our go-to guys. His bit about going to the emergency room is
a particular favorite. I can’t tell you
how much it has helped to be able to laugh in the midst of medical crisis. But then
there are times when one of his sketches will pop into my mind at the most
inconvenient times. Like the one about
shopping for refrigerators. (If you haven't seen it before, click here to watch. It’s really funny and
what’s below will make much more sense to you.)
It’s totally fine when we’re shopping at Sears or Lowes and
we pass the appliance department. We
actually bought a refrigerator a few years back and had a grand time of it,
thanks to our pal Brian.
But it’s not so good when we’re in the funeral home. We were there meeting with the Funeral
Director to make arrangements for my father-in-law. Dad had been fighting lung cancer for about nine months when some sort of infection caught hold of his weakened immune
system. He died suddenly, the day before
my birthday, when I was five months pregnant with Grant.
Anyway, there I was with UB’s family as they scheduled the
calling hours, chose the prayer card
design and the prayer card poem, etc.
Then it was time to choose the casket.
The Funeral Director pulled out this sizable catalog and began to show
us various casket options. I had no idea
there were so many choices and such a wide range of prices—from wicker caskets
(oh yes—wicker) all the way up to hermetically-sealed, ornate pieces of art
with copious scroll work and satin lining.
And as he’s explaining the different options, all I can think is:
“This casket right here, this holds your loved one’s remains
for $1200. You’ve got this casket; this
one holds your loved one’s remains for $2500.
Check this out: $5500—holds your loved one’s remains.”
Oh. My. Word. It was all I could do to hold it together and
not snicker as we are looking through this catalog. If it had been my family at that table, at
least two of us would’ve started quoting that bit at the same time and we’d have
all devolved into a shared fit of inappropriate laughter. But this was UB’s family. Not that they don’t laugh at things—his
family has their own traditions of laughing at bodily functions and discussing
them at the dinner table. UB’s dad had a
terrific sense of humor, and had he been there he would’ve been cracking jokes
about how ridiculous some of the more expensive models were. But he wasn't there and I had to keep it together lest I be demoted from inlaw to outlaw.

1 comment:
Hi Aunt Bossy
I love the writings ...please keep writing. You have a way with words.
Your Easterly Second Cousin
MikeC
Post a Comment