Hello all,
Yes, I'm a blog bum. I have been woefully absent, popping in every now & then to write a random Fitness Friday post. I have one more week of school left; after that the plan is to rejuvenate my fitness regimen and actually start posting again. But since this week's topic is tips for dressing, I thought I'd chime in. Which is pretty funny, since I SO did not grow up knowing how to dress myself. We couldn't afford to be clothes-horses in our family; although if Mom had cared about that sort of thing we could've found deals at thrift stores. My Aunt Sherrie was ALWAYS finding major steals at thrift stores; my cousins dressed in Guess jeans that she bought for $2.00 at Sally's (Salvation Army). Anyway, suffice to say that growing up, jeans & a t-shirt/sweatshirt were my wardrobe standbys. I wished I knew how to dress, I just didn't have the time, money, or inclination to learn.
However, as I have shed several sizes over the past year+, it has become necessary for me to acquire new clothes. A lot of new clothes. Most of them God has provided through friends & coworkers giving me clothes that they have shrunk out of. And I have learned so much from wearing the things I've been given AND from doing more clothes shopping in one year than I've done in my entire life. Trying things on, being choosy about fit--these are all relatively new habits. So it's not too late, ladies! Here's what I've learned:
1.) Watching "What Not to Wear" is a great place to start.
See if you can find some episodes online if you don't have cable. Really--they give good advice, a lot of which I'm going to repeat. And while I don't expect anyone to have a 360 mirror set up like they do on the show, a full-length mirror is a must.
2.) Wear clothes that fit your body size.
This is so important! I used to think the baggier, the better; that's not so. Clothes need to fit you. Clothes that are too big make you look bigger, period. And clothes that are too small call WAY too much attention to the wrong places. "Sausage casing" is not a look any of us need to be aiming for.
3.) Wear clothes that fit your body shape.
Juliemom provided a great reference to help with this. 'Cause it's not just about the number on the tag, it's about how the clothes fits your body shape. If you have a long torso, you need longer shirts--no one wants to see your belly when you raise your arms or your underwear when you bend over. If you are really busty, button down-shirts are not a good choice. If you have long legs, buy longer pants. Speaking of pants, I just have to remind you all that TAPERED LEGS MAKE EVERYONE'S THIGHS LOOK BIGGER. So unless you feel you need more bulk in your thighs, go for straight-leg pants. Brenda brought this to our attention awhile ago with her link to the "Mom Jeans" sketch. If you missed it, you can click here--just make sure your bladder is empty first. If you are thicker in the middle, straigher skirt styles will work nicely, whereas the layered-flouffy style will only add bulk where you don't need any. (I tried some on the other day--put them right back on the rack!) Wearing clothes that have shape to them that work with your shape is an easy way to look 5-6 pounds thinner. I have a few "weight loss" shirts--whenever I wear them, someone asks me if I've lost more weight. Which I haven't, I just look slimmer because of the way the shirts fit me.
4.) Bright colors on top & some jewelry serves to draw the eye upwards.
For that matter, color in general is your friend. Black is not always slimming--well-fitting black clothes that are appropriate to your body shape are slimming. Black mumu-inspired clothing doesn't fool anyone. And others have mentioned it, but horizontal stripes--no. Vertical stripes--possibly; thinner lines are better. Small to medium polka dot patterns are great--I have found several dresses that have a polka dot pattern and they really work. Florals can also be flattering--it depends upon the color, the size of the pattern, and how the clothing fits you. But you don't really like patterns--they're too loud and showy and you prefer everything plain, you say? Read on...
5.) This means you have to shop carefully, with a critical eye, and an open mind.
Um, let's face it--anything that is going to be done well requires time and effort. You do not dress well on accident or with no thought whatsoever, especially if it is new to you. You need to take the time to TRY THINGS ON, even if you don't think it will look good when on the hanger. And take risks--find something that is totally not "you" and try it on. 'Cause as most of us have established, clothes that are "us" aren't cutting it. So branch out & try something on you'd never pick out for yourself--I've done this and been pleasantly surprised! Stretching past your clothing comfort zone is easier if you
6.) Get help from a friend who does dress well.
You all know someone who knows how to present herself as modest yet attractive. Ask her for help! We don't have to figure this out on our own, ladies. I've had some excellent guidance from my friends; this combined with Stacey & Clinton's voices in my head ( see #1) have really been helpful as I've worked at my wardrobe over these past months. It does get easier, and you do become more comfortable thinking about and choosing clothes that are attractive yet allow you to function comfortably. (Yes, they can be both!) And finally...
7.) Foundation, foundation, foundation
As in, undergarments. You need to wear bras that fit and lift & separate, and these are RARELY found in the bargain bin at Wal-Mart. Well, maybe they do fit that way for a few weeks before they lose their shape. Anyway, quality undergarments can make a HUGE difference. When wearing skirts, slips are not only modest, they can smooth over belly rolls. Wearing a camisole under a blouse can do the same thing--prevent the shirt from clinging to and outlining any extra padding. (I frequenly use cotton tank tops for this purpose--more comfy in hot weather than the more flimsy material.) And let's not forget control-top pantyhose and those slimmer-shapers. My friend calls them a "tummy tuck in a box." :-) Wal-Mart sells an inexpensive shaper (bottom) that really works well--it fits from under the bust to the knee so there's no "muffin top" effect (it even says that on the packaging). However, it's not so constricting that I'm miserably uncomfortable wearing it. There are also shaper-camisoles that can smooth you out without making it difficult to breathe. Now, I'm not recommending these as everyday wear, but there may be some outfits/occasions where you just need a little extra smoothing.
Ok, that's all I've got. And since I only read Juliemom's before posting, I'm wondering if I said the same things you all said. In any case, I hope this was helpful. If I can go from "I hate shopping for clothes" to carefully thumbing through the racks at thrift stores and making frequent "research" trips to the mall, then there's hope for anyone.
1 comment:
Well said! I am happy to see you posting again! Yes, I can tell you've branched out and not just taken the first thing on sale that hides a roll or two.
Awesome advice!! Love ya!
Post a Comment